Education Resources for Infection Control Professionals
CHICA-Canada's Educational Resources
CHICA-Canada offers a number of resources for education and learning:
- Education Philosophy, Goals and Learning Needs (CHICA Members only)
- Canadian Infection Control Conferences Calendar - CHICA-Canada's calendar of Canadian conferences of interest to infection control professionals.
- CHICA–Canada's Education Courses Webpage - Visit our compendium of Canadian-based courses in infection control, including online courses. CHICA-Canada is committed to providing educational resources for ICPs, including online courses based on core competencies developed by CHICA and endorsed by CHICA.
- CHICA–Canada/IFIC International Conferences & Resources Website - International education resources and a calendar of international conferences.
- IP&C Core Competencies - Infection Prevention and Control Core Competencies for Health Care Workers: A Consensus Document (CHICA-Canada, revised 2006)
- Industry Education Events - Visit our webpage for education provided from our industry members.
- Routine Practices E-Learning Tool - This course is designed to review the key elements of Routine Practices, the Canadian system of infection prevention and control strategies that are applied by all healthcare workers in all healthcare settings.
OTHER EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
The following education resources from other agencies are available for
infection control professionals. Links presented
here do not imply endorsement by CHICA–Canada.
- Against All Odds - Inside statistics from the Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications and Chedd-Angier
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - This section of the U.S. Dep't of Health and human Services is now providing an audio newscast series to help keep you informed of the latest health care research findings, news and information. Hear the newscasts through your computer or download to a portable digital player.
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) - The 2009 edition of the APIC text is now available. Excellent resource for the CBIC examination!
- BioEd Online - Biology Teacher Resources from Baylor College of Medicine
- Bloodborne Pathogens - Annual Update for Healthcare Produced in the U.S., this award winning and engaging 13 minute DVD uses humor to educate healthcare workers on the basic elements required by OSHA's Bloodborne Pathogens Standard. You can augment the DVD with the comprehensive written material and pre and post tests (included as PDF files on the disk) OR if time is a factor, use the interactive Q&A provided at the end of the DVD. Available at Amazon; $125USF. American content.
- Bon IPAC Bad IPAC - Protection Now or Paperwork Later An informational video aimed at emergency services, developed by the Region of Peel Designated Officers' Working Group (Ontario, Canada). Includes teaching tools:
- Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC) GET CERTIFIED! This is the most widely recognized examination for infection control professionals in North America. Partnership with CHICA–Canada has resulted in collaboration on examination questions, exam centres being held across Canada and a CHICA Chapter award. Visit this site to see how you can become certified! A PowerPoint presentation describing the role of CBIC is now available on the WebBoard (in the Members Only section of this website). NOTE: The certification examinations are not available in French (see CBIC response regarding French translation of examination).
- Concepts and Applications of Inferential Statistics - Vassar College
- Drugwatch - Extensive information about medications and drugs, including details about side effects, drug alerts and advisories and drug interactions.
- Education Index (U.S.) - A comprehensive and informative resource that systematically sorts out the available undergraduate and graduate programs available today in the U.S.
- Envision Incorporated – Education for health care professionals.
- Infection Prevention Online Course - A series of infection prevention modules aimed at health care providers.
- Knowledge is Infectious - Resource for clinicians, nurses and associated health care professionals interested in learning more about hospital acquired infection, with a focus on catheter related blood stream infections.
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) - Courses include:
- Infection Control and Safety (online course)
- Online Education Modules from the Provincial Infection Control Network of British Columbia (PICNet)
- Orientation Program for ICPs - developed by IP&C networks in NL, BC, ON and PEI.
- Supercourse – Epidemiology, the Internet & Global Health – Online lectures, related to infection control and epidemiology. Effective PowerPoint slide presentations.
- Teleclass Education – International infection prevention and control lecture series presented via live Teleclass (teleconference) or via on-line recording. Participate from the comfort of your office or meeting room.
- Webcasts from the Ontario Telemedicine Network – Many infection control-related webcasts may be downloaded following their initial airing over the telemedicine network.
- Webinars from the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (U.S.)